Monday 4 March 2013

Keeping Baker's Hours

Today I am keeping baker's hours,not banker's hours! Striper got me up at 4.30 so I decided to get my first sourdough loaf going. On Feb.26th I made a starter with water,yeast, flour and sugar. It sat ,covered from draughts,on the counter for 8 days,getting stirred twice a day. There are all kinds of recipes for the bread but the starter has all the same ingredients. Anyways,it percolated for 8 days and this am I started my first loaf. I am combining 2 recipes advice,so I added flour,oil and salt and kneaded for about 10 min. The sticky mess is now a lovely dough that has to rise. It is not as fast as yeast,so it may take all day,when it has to be punched down,shaped and rise again. I will keep you posted. By the way,Striper is already back in bed as I write this.

No comments:

Post a Comment